Faverolles

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Faverolles

Postby eae » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:40 pm

I think I paid $36 for 12 eggs, plus $25 overnight courier. So, she essentially cost me $48 plus the feed of growing her to this point. But personally I cancel that out as I really enjoy watching young birds grow up in the flock, and feeding is the cost of that enjoyment. I could have paid $50 her now, but would have missed out on her youth :) Actually I would have to pay a lot more than $50 for a 7 month pullet I think, as I couldn't find anyone in the North Island that sold eggs, let alone pullets.. so adding in the cost of PetBus etc, which I never would have bothered with.

When buying 12 eggs, mentally I hope for 10 fertile and feel happy if I get 3-4 pullets out of that. 6 fertile was definitely less than I was hoping for, but I recall you saying at the time that it wasn't abnormal for the breed, so I just adjusted my hopes. I'm super pleased I've got one pullet with both muffs and beard out of the exercise.. a couple more would be nice insurance though, in case anything happens to them! Of course all the boys had both :roll:
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:36 pm

$36 + $25 = $61

But I agree with you - there is something special about watching a bird hatch and grow up and then there is, of course, that gambling aspect - you could have gotten 12 nice pullets - or none at all. I think you did ok, very average resuly but still ok. Could have been worse.

However, if someone asks me whether I have pullets for sale and wants a nice bird without obvious faults, doesn't want to hatch eggs or raise chicks as it's too much bother - and then turns around and says $40 is too much for a pullet I don't go down with the price. I may offer a yellow legged pullet or one with only 4 toes for $25 but that's not good enough for some. I think the result you got is a very good example for how much cost and effort is involved in getting one good bird. I hope she continues to be healthy and strong and lays well for you. My Faverolles don't go broody so lay all through summer.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Marina wrote:$36 + $25 = $61

I'd take some of that cost off for the other pullet - even though she's not perfect she'll still be an egg provider and a member of the flock, so I'd say she has value too. You can get $20-25 for a crossbred pullet so I'd say $21 for her, and $40 for the good pullet (before feed, of course!)

i'm with you eae - it's so nice to see them grow up in the flock, and probably easier when it comes to integrating new birds. I don't think I'd ever buy adult birds again now, having hatched most of ours. I also like tracing back who raised who, so who is effectively the 'grandmother' or 'great-grandmother' of who. But that's just me
;)
Pea (?), Martha (Light Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orpington), Petal (Barnevelder), Dottie (Speckled Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (White Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB) and Evelyn, Violet, Hazel & Tilly (SPW) and DUCKS!
sewren

Postby wolga » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:09 pm

There seems to be a Faverolles Preservation Group on Facebook.
Might be worth a look ?
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1152116858187403?_rdr
wolga

Postby Marina » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Thank you for posting the link. Will have a closer look once the show is over.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Previous

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders