Cochins

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Cochins

Postby Raven81 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 pm

judith01 wrote:
Raven81 wrote:those boys look like they have good leg feathers

yes they have and its not a good photo of them, i am very pleased with them but there are 4 boys those 2 and two paler ones. looking at then running around some have a more rounded bodies to so not sure what to keep yet.

would u ( or anyone else with this great breed ) be interested in a egg swap project / hatch along next season.
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby judith01 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 pm

yep, i got eggs now and chicks due this weekend
judith01
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby gonetothedogs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Judith01 is going to get eggs off me at some stage and Raven81 and I have been swapping eggs too. This season I will have Micheal from Chch's two cochin girls so thats new genes. He is also keen to send and receive eggs and help with the gene pool.
And I would love more sheds so envious of raven81's new chook sheds that are coming. I have 5 but not enough! Other half made 'bad" grunting sounds when he said that we should take one of the big portable horse shelters away and I said it would make a great chook shed! His response wasn't what I thought he'd make but "working" on it! Think he's still worried the chooks will take over the farm.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:49 pm

my last laying girl has decided to stop now but ill have eggs again soon. i will be putting some in bator in about 10 days when im not 'on holiday' but they will be from a buff & a splash orp wit the big red cochin roo
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:52 pm

gonetothedogs wrote:Judith01 is going to get eggs off me at some stage and Raven81 and I have been swapping eggs too. This season I will have Micheal from Chch's two cochin girls so thats new genes. He is also keen to send and receive eggs and help with the gene pool.
And I would love more sheds so envious of raven81's new chook sheds that are coming. I have 5 but not enough! Other half made 'bad" grunting sounds when he said that we should take one of the big portable horse shelters away and I said it would make a great chook shed! His response wasn't what I thought he'd make but "working" on it! Think he's still worried the chooks will take over the farm.

i wld be keen to buy a shed if he wanted to sell me one
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby judith01 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Raven81 wrote:my last laying girl has decided to stop now but ill have eggs again soon. i will be putting some in bator in about 10 days when im not 'on holiday' but they will be from a buff & a splash orp wit the big red cochin roo

i can send you some if you send me some buff orbs lol
judith01
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby gonetothedogs » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:28 am

I don't think he'd sell any, as they always have a use around here. There's a few small sheds I have yet to clean out that would be great chicken sheds.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Cochin babies

Postby sude » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Raven81 This is Solo, doing fine one week old.
sude
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby gonetothedogs » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Good leg feathers. I have 5 week old chicks, cochin over white rock hens and looks like 4 have feathered legs. Doing well even with winter. Just shut chook sheds up and its just about dark and grass is frozen. Chicks and their mums hutch is in a horse shed so out of the worst of the cold weather.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Solo is gorgeous lol but im biasd (since he came from 1 of my girls.) im very impressed with his leg feathers. will be interesting to see if he colors like the cuckoo roo or the red roo
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby gonetothedogs » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Raven81 has just found out that there is someone in the Gore area, (mine and raven81's basically),that have Cochins. How many on here have Cochins? I have just bought 4 hyline pullets and will put a cochin rooster over them. Hoping to see if looks, type, temperment, etc is still there but mainly to see if the point of lay starts a bit earlier. Cochins seem to be slow so have a plan!!
I also have this large white leg feathered rooster and have him with my white rock hens. I will pick suitable pullets from this cross and put a pure cochin over them. For a lighter, (hopefully splash) colour, good leg covering and great egg laying. Any thoughts or am I doing more wrong than gain?? Rooster has black eyes like a orp, big build but up right, soft white feathers, black legs, so pullets will be picked with light eyes, yellow legs and right body type.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby buzzard » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:54 pm

gonetothedogs wrote: I also have this large white leg feathered rooster and have him with my white rock hens. I will pick suitable pullets from this cross and put a pure cochin over them. For a lighter, (hopefully splash) colour, good leg covering and great egg laying. Any thoughts or am I doing more wrong than gain?? Rooster has black eyes like a orp, big build but up right, soft white feathers, black legs, so pullets will be picked with light eyes, yellow legs and right body type.

honestly, that sounds like a hot mess in the making.
but if you're keen on using him, why not get a langshan hen or 2 for him then backcross him to his dtrs and create a white langshan, he sounds like he ticks most of the standard requirement anyway so hes already there, sounds like hes close on type too from your description but subsequent generations would undoubtly need refining on type.
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby gonetothedogs » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:21 pm

I have a good eye for confirmation on animals and faults etc so am sure down the track I will either cull or keep.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Cochin babies

Postby sude » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Prime seat in the house my shoulder.
Solo two weeks old
sude
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby gonetothedogs » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Cute. My white rock cochin hen chicks are the same age. Do roosters decide the sex like with humans or is the heat while incubating decide as it is with croc's? If it is the same as humans, Co, my red guy has mostly girls. Last lot is 4 girls one boy, lot before were 3 girls 2 boys and some I sold were 5 girls one boy. Raven81's mum is waiting to take Co so she'll be pleased if he's throwing mostly girls.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders