Crippled chick - what to do?

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Crippled chick - what to do?

Postby tishie11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:10 am

I have a 4 week old blue Orpy chick with a deformed leg - I put a pic on recently. Its either a result of slipped tendon or twisted leg syndromes according to my research. For various reasons it was too late to try remedies to fix this - and I had never heard of either condition until recently.
My dilemna is what do I do about it?????? I CAN'T KILL ANYTHING! My partner has "taken care" of such things before but he's told me he doesn't like doing it either.
The chick eats and drinks normally and obviously loves being with the others. It does not seem to be in any obvious pain. It isn't as well developed and can't walk normally, just hops and shuffles. At this stage I have just put a bandage on its leg and hock to stop any chaffing and I can lift it back up the ramp into the house when needed.
I know I am just a wimpy female!
Has anyone ever raised a crippled chick before and how did it go? I do have the time to give to it so can't say that I am too busy.
And then it will probably be a rooster!!!
tishie11
Chicken
Chicken

Re: Crippled chick - what to do?

Postby GillyJ » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:31 am

Not wimpy, just kind :) If it isn't in pain and seems happy enough, and you have the time to give it, go with the flow and see what happens. That is what I would do anyway.
GillyJ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Louise » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:42 am

Nothing wrong with how you feel about ending an animals life, especially one that you can see is happy enough and coping. And also nothing wrong with giving an animal a chance despite deformities etc. I have, with my blind silkie.
I can't help you with how to treat or care for your chicks disability but I do wish you all the best with your decision.
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby ChickyMum » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:03 am

Totally echo GillyJ and Louise's sentiments, just shows what a gentle heart you have

Could you make a leg brace (similar to what people have - around the leg and under the foot) to help straighten and give support and perhaps provide additional mobility?
Betty (Barnevelder)
Molly (Light Sussex)
Mabel (SLW)
Bess (Australorp)
MissD (Dorking)
Polly (Coronation Sussex)
2 Speckled Sussex
ChickyMum
Chicken
Chicken

Postby tishie11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Yes I'm thinking about that - the chick doesn't seem to mind me holding it or touching its leg so at least I can try different things.
tishie11
Chicken
Chicken

Postby GillyJ » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:40 pm

What about also trying to massage the leg with Arnica cream twice a day and 'working' the leg?
GillyJ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby tishie11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Haven't used Arnica before - I might try that. What exactly does it do?
tishie11
Chicken
Chicken

Postby 99chooks » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Sadly there is nothing you can do and the chick will get worse and worse as it grows. I tried to save my first one but by the time he was half grown it was stuck quite far out the side and he was struggling to get around. Is their someone else who could do it for you? Thankfully my neighbour takes care of my culls.
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby puku » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Sorry but I think you have to harden up .This little bird clearly has a tenuous hold on a quality life and from an 'animal welfare 'aspect should be euthanased . I have been down this road with Pekin chicks a couple of times . If a friend will help you out that's good .Have read but not resorted to :chick in plastic bag over car exhaust .Recently my lovely black Pekin rooster injured a leg ,I let him be for weeks hoping for a recovery but it wasn't going to happen ,so .....................
puku
Chick
Chick

Postby Tiffany » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:45 pm

I also think that it needs to be put down, but I understand that its not easy, and thats why I use the method I spoke about (When Mikes not about), there is not breaking of bones or chopping of heads :( Although I have not tried this on older animals, the oldest I did was a 2-3 week old with the same condition as this. Puku you mention that you havent had to "resort" to a car exhaust - how do you kill them, you must have a better method?
It all began with three......
Tiffany
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby RussellBenington » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:51 pm

car exhaust is pretty much suffocation...except they breath in carbon monoxide instead of nt being able to breath..but same result. However it is a despicable way to kill something...not to mention slightly illegal... i use either an axe, or i break the neck with my hands....sounds slightly barbaric but its quick and painless for the chicken...prefer the axe as then i dont feel the bones crunch, but sometimes the chook is still too alive to stay still so you can cut then head off (e.g culled roosters) :cry: :cry: :cry:
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby Tiffany » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 pm

RussellBenington wrote:car exhaust is pretty much suffocation...except they breath in carbon monoxide instead of nt being able to breath..but same result. However it is a despicable way to kill something...not to mention slightly illegal... i use either an axe, or i break the neck with my hands....sounds slightly barbaric but its quick and painless for the chicken...prefer the axe as then i dont feel the bones crunch, but sometimes the chook is still too alive to stay still so you can cut then head off (e.g culled roosters) :cry: :cry: :cry:

So a chick going to sleep in a plastic bag, compared to a chick with a broken neck that isn't dead is despicable? :shock: (and dont say that doesnt happen, Ive been doing this for a while and tried a lot of different methods spoken about on this site, with limited success). for someone with less experience you sure have a strong opinion on this :shock: I guess each to their own
Tiffany
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby RussellBenington » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Tiffany wrote:
RussellBenington wrote:car exhaust is pretty much suffocation...except they breath in carbon monoxide instead of nt being able to breath..but same result. However it is a despicable way to kill something...not to mention slightly illegal... i use either an axe, or i break the neck with my hands....sounds slightly barbaric but its quick and painless for the chicken...prefer the axe as then i dont feel the bones crunch, but sometimes the chook is still too alive to stay still so you can cut then head off (e.g culled roosters) :cry: :cry: :cry:

So a chick going to sleep in a plastic bag, compared to a chick with a broken neck that isn't dead is despicable? :shock: (and dont say that doesnt happen, Ive been doing this for a while and tried a lot of different methods spoken about on this site, with limited success). for someone with less experience you sure have a strong opinion on this :shock: I guess each to their own
sorry..speaking from my own experience....i've learnt properly how to kill something, through a mixture of scouts, living on a farm, and working as a seasonal at the local abbatoir.
and personally i think that a chick cuddled in your arms then dead in .8 of a second without feeling pain is better than loading it into a plastic bag and waitning a couple of seconds for it to slowly choke to death from lack of oxygen.... but as you said to each their own
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby Tiffany » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:06 pm

And I am no amateur to this either thanks, I have been farming for a while, and raise all my own meat (apart from chicken as I cant keep up with demand), I am not the only one who has had trouble breaking necks on this forum, it is not as easy as it sounds, and when it doesnt work properly it is quite traumatic
Tiffany
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby RussellBenington » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:08 pm

hence do it in a way that it can not fail...as i was taught

but how about we just agree to disagree...this is a demure topic to talk about especially so close to sucha happy time of year
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Next

Return to Hatching & Raising