Chook chow

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

Chook chow

Postby jimminette » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:55 pm

I know a lot of you don't like it but I found out over christmas that Mitre 10 were selling it here and was cheaper than the Farm store brand, changed over and egg production is up.
Nothing changes, if nothing changes
jimminette
Quail
Quail

Re: Chook chow

Postby sewren » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Which one is the chook chow...? I get so confused with the different brands!! :roll:
Pea (?), Martha (Light Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Betty (Bv x BR), Elsa (Orpington), Petal (Barnevelder) and Dottie (Speckled Sussex)
sewren

Postby jimminette » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 am

sewren wrote:Which one is the chook chow...? I get so confused with the different brands!! :roll:

Takanini Feeds
Nothing changes, if nothing changes
jimminette
Quail
Quail

Postby nzkings » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 pm

What are the ingredients, including percentages?
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Haven't got any right now, but the crew love it!
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Aroz26 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:54 pm

I bought a bag recently and the girls loved it but I was also advised to mix it with either pellets or grains instead of as a substitute which I was using it for at the time. I think due to too much molasses can make them sick. I did get a lot of eggs while using it too but I also noticed it gives them very dark almost black slimy looking poos lol. I recall it had a lot of impressive sounding ingredients on the bag but I don't recall seeing any percentages. Will have a hunt around for the ingredients and see if any experts can explain them properly :D
Aroz26
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Aroz26 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:03 pm

According to the bag:-

Ingredients selcted from:

Barley, Maize, Oats, Wheat and Wheat By-Products, Peas, Broll, Copra Meal, Soya Meal, Dilstillers Grains, Linseed, Sun Flower Seeds, Molasses, Zeolite, Oaten Chaff, Lucerne Chaff, Limestone, Vitamins and Trace Minerals, Enzymes, Amino Acids, MgO, DCP, Salt, Vegetable Oil, Yea=Sacc and Mould Inhibitor.

Also according to a post I saw on another forum, Chook Chow is 16.1% protein,2.4% fat, 2.7% fibre, 0.4% salt
Aroz26
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby nzkings » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Aroz26 wrote:According to the bag:-

Barley, Maize, Oats, Wheat and Wheat By-Products, Peas, Broll, Copra Meal, Soya Meal, Dilstillers Grains, Linseed, Sun Flower Seeds, Molasses, Zeolite, Oaten Chaff, Lucerne Chaff, Limestone, Vitamins and Trace Minerals, Enzymes, Amino Acids, MgO, DCP, Salt, Vegetable Oil, Yea=Sacc and Mould Inhibitor.

Also according to a post I saw on another forum, Chook Chow is 16.1% protein,2.4% fat, 2.7% fibre, 0.4% salt

No animal protein though? Doesn't seem right... chooks need their meat! Think I'll stick to my layer pallets, they are 18%
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby Aroz26 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm

nzkings wrote:
Aroz26 wrote:According to the bag:-

No animal protein though? Doesn't seem right... chooks need their meat! Think I'll stick to my layer pallets, they are 18%

Hmm you have a point there, I guess if it's mixed with pellets as well it should be ok :?: Mind you I still don't know what the last of those ingredients are meant to be (off to google!)
I usually feed out kitchen scraps each day and when we have a lot of family staying you can gurantee there will be meat scraps so they never miss out :D
Aroz26
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Aroz26 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 pm

I remember reading somewhere that someone adds blood and bone to their chook food? Or perhaps it was just bone meal.... either way it seems to be one of those feeds you have to keep adding to just to get the optimum out of it ie. mixed with pellets for layers or grains for younger chooks. I think this one will be a work in progress lol. A rather costly one too by the sounds of it... :?
Aroz26
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby tishie11 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 pm

My chooks also love Chook Chow. I get it from Falloons in Dairy Flat, but I also feed pellets and other grains. I too am concerned that the chooks don't get enough meat so I often give them meat left overs, cat food or the cheapest mince as supplements. And occasionally cooked fish leftovers which they love.
tishie11
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Aroz26 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Cat food wins hands down over here :D And fat from the roasting pans. Quite amusing to watch them when they have fat stuck to their faces and flinging it all over the place. Our little veloceraptors :lol:
Aroz26
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sandrahip » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:18 am

Chooks do love that mix,if you wanted more protein you can add soyameal or meatmeal,but sounds like it's protein level is high enough already.Freeranging birds will eat worms and bugs anyway.
sandrahip
Quail
Quail

Postby 99chooks » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:55 am

Aroz26 wrote:I remember reading somewhere that someone adds blood and bone to their chook food?

Blood and bone or meat meal if you're lucky to be near a meat processing place, is a fantastic source of protein.
Meat byproducts were always incorporated into chook foods until it was decided that feed merchants couldn't use the same machinery to process feeds with meat/blood (chook, pig etc) and non meat added feeds (horse, goat, bovine etc) with the same machinery, so rather than run 2 complete processing plants they did away with the meat/blood/bone additive entirely. Soy protein is used instead and lime (I think) replaces the calcium from the bone.
Only problem I have with it is that it's a powder so a lot is wasted if it's left dry but a handful can easily be added to a mash or mixed in with scraps. I find chooks going through a moult really chow down on it. You can get straight Blood and Bone from garden centres and supermarkets - organic blood and bone is perfect.
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Aroz26 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks for that info 99chooks I will have a look for some next time im at a garden centre although organic would be ideal :D
Aroz26
Pheasant
Pheasant

Next

Return to General Chicken Keeping