feed-o-matic treadle feeder

Discuss all chook related things here!
Also:
* The Library

feed-o-matic treadle feeder

Postby jasper39 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:57 am

Hi everyone,
I have been looking at the various types of automatic feeders ~ at the moment it feels as though i am feeding my three girls and every sparrow in town!

I am keen on the feed-o-matic ~ can i ask if anyone here has any experience of them?

Any advice would be most welcome :)

Thanks
Jasper39
jasper39
Chick
Chick

Re: feed-o-matic treadle feeder

Postby seatil » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:31 pm

I haven't used that specific feeder, but I do own several automatic feeders of varying other brands.

My main general comments on automatic feeders are:

* I strongly prefer those where the chooks eat from the bottom and I fill from the top; this means that I can fill up at any time without having to worry about the "old" food being eaten last.
* Metal is better than wood as I can leave it outside in all weathers. I've got a wooden one, but it leaks water if not in a sheltered spot, which makes the food cake up and get stuck, and then go mouldy.
* If I had only one feeder, I'd want one that could take 10kg or 25kg food so that I don't have a half-opened bag of food hanging around for mice and rats to eat.
* Larger chooks really do benefit from a deep treadle. My heavy breed chooks really struggle with the chooketeria's narrow treadle. They can get the lid up, but then step backwards to eat, which closes the lid. :/ Cue repeated banging as determined chooks try to get food.

Looking at the image of that feeder specifically, it's got a nice large treadle. On the flip side, I suspect the treadle will get caked with mud and other stuff in pretty short order and be time consuming to clean if you wanted to. I also wonder how well the plastic components will fare in our NZ sun. Other than that, it looks reasonable, and cheaper than the options I've got here. Definitely one I'd give a go if I was in the market for another feeder.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:33 am

seatil is onto the treadle feeders and what works!

I bought a whole lot of cheap ones (metal) which at least got them, but we spent quite a bit of time replacing every nut/washer that fell off and adding feet (so it didn't tip over)

definitely cuts down the number of sparrows being fed, just don't be surprised if you find a dead sparrow inside the feeder!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:46 am

Kracka wrote:I bought a whole lot of cheap ones (metal) which at least got them, but we spent quite a bit of time replacing every nut/washer that fell off and adding feet (so it didn't tip over)

One of my (3) grandpa feeders had issues with the nuts forever unwinding from the bolts. Just that one, not the others. I ended up replacing the original stainless nuts/bolts with ones that rust -- they rusted up and seized up nicely ;) No more nuts falling off. :D :lol:
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:00 pm

My 2 cents worth:

Feed-o-Matic: it has a plastic treadle and is made in China. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether the plastic is UV stabilised or not. The mechanism that opens the access flap is dependent on a thin metal rod - thinner than standard fencing wire. Not sure how long that will last. It's high and narrow so a good Canterbury nor'wester would blow it over in no time. The access is too narrow for roosters with a large comb - they can't reach the food and will sustain comb damage while trying to get to the feed. On the plus side - old feed is eaten first, training is easy.

My choice is this feeder: http://www.marksutton.co.nz/chicken_feeders.htm
We've had those for 6 or 7 years now, no maintenance, still as good as new. Lid opens wide for those big roosters without causing comb damage and it's made right here in Canterbury, New Zealand.

Chooketeria is too small for my liking, Grandpa feeder is too expensive for my budget. There is another flimsy metal feeder on the market now - also a Chinese import - and from what I've heard the opening mechanism locks itself as the dimensions are not optimal = feast for sparrows.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby nzdan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi, newbie here, but I thought about a treadle then went online and did some investigating. I brought a cheap plastic rubbish bin with a lid from the Warehouse and made a 1.5 bag feeder, set it on a couple of bricks for height.

I only made one hole and I find that is enough for my 5 chooks, they had no problem finding the food and how to use it. Have a look at this link to see how it can be made. Throw in a bag at a time and voila.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzj5Gl5EXA&ebc=ANyPxKo0_JTk3ElcfrAVe9PQ8Gz7OjEbfkIRlicuU1OZY2ghRS2VjK_rTtNd8G6vuunA23MLRma4
nzdan
Chick
Chick

Postby jasper39 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi everyone

Thank you all for your replies ~ You have all certainly given me 'food for thought' ~ please excuse the pun :)

The treadle feeders are very expensive and before buying one i was keen to know how other's have found them.

I never realised that many were chinese made and seem to be poor quality ~ i laughed out loud seatil about your ' no more nuts falling off ' :D

Thanks Marina for your recommendation of the Mark Sutton feeder ~ i shall visit the website and have a look ~ they sound a good quality feeder.

And thanks nzdan for bringing to my attention the DIY option ~ i am sure when i show my hubby we shall be heading to Bunnings as he would love to make one :) I never even realised this was an option ...

After losing one of my girls three weeks ago and dealing with ten days of 'pecking order' ~ i am now happy my two new girls and my original girl who lost her friend have now worked out their differences ... it is lovely to see them enjoying nice days in the garden.

I can now concentrate on getting a feeder sorted for them ~ and hopefully stop feeding what appears to be every sparrow in town :roll:

Thanks again
Jasper39 :)
jasper39
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:51 am

nzdan's post reminds me of a post by teach about making a feeder - I made a couple of those and they work! Cost about $3.50 plus a bucket with lid I had. Can someone find this post, please?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:30 pm

Just resurrecting this thread because I was wondering if anyone has tried the feed-o-matic yet?

http://www.chookmanor.co.nz/feed-o-mati ... dle-feeder

I am thinking about investing in a larger feeder - with my increasing flock I'm having to fill up my current feeder every day at the moment, and I really like the idea of being able to just shove a whole bag of feed in this one without having half bags lying around - 20kg capacity for the win!

Anyone tried it? Any instant annoyances? Broken bits?
Am I going to have to be the guinea pig....?
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:40 pm

I've not tried it, but my first thought on looking at the picture is that it looks quite narrow and therefore only 1 or 2 birds could eat at a time. That would only be an issue if it was your sole feeder for a large number though.

We have a large grandpa's feeder and there are usually 3 on it, sometimes a 4th with our australorp sticking enormous great big neck over top of the others :lol: We've been very pleased with the Grandpa's feeder but it is does clang when lid closes (currently it is far enough away that it isn't an issue - but a piece of stick on weather strip would deal with that) and it doesn't hold a whole bag at once. The advertised capacity is 18kg, but I don't think I've ever got that much in ours. Perhaps it depends on the size of the pellets that used.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby wolga » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:58 pm

I'm using the feed-o-magic treadle feeders and I love them ! Before I used the chooketeria and had swarms of sparrows diving in every time
one of my birds wanted a feed. I lost quite a bit of feed because of that. :x
The downside is that only 2 birds can feed together. But they manage just fine taking turns. They are easy to fill and the feed stays drier.
How long the plastic parts will last has to be seen but they look quite strong.
wolga

Postby sewren » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:14 am

Great to hear wolga - I think I'm just going to take the plunge and give it a go. I agree with the sparrows - I think I have one fly out on my current feeder nearly every time I open the lid to check how much food is left, so who knows how much they're eating when the chooks are having their meals :evil: :twisted:

Good point about not many being about to feed at once, though, but I guess once they've got the hang of using it I can always put the current feeder back in for extra feeder space. I'm not actually planning on doing much chook hatching this yeah (HA - famous last words!! :lol: ) so hopefully the flock won't be expanding too much. But then if it turns out to be good I'd happily invest in another.

Cheers guys!
sewren

Postby Marina » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:10 pm

I've just posted an ad for a couple of Mark Sutton's treadle operated feeders which he donated to the Christchurch Poultry, Bantam and Pigeon Club to be sold as a fundraiser. We do get the odd sparrow that is opportunistic and flies in to get a feed but it's dangerous for them as some end up dead when the lid closes on them. In our case sparrows are no longer a problem - there are very few of them now.

I've seen the feed-o-matic feeders and the manufacturer has increased the head space as this obviously was a wide-spread problem for larger birds and injured combs. Chook Manor had a display at our past 2 shows and their whole range of product is on display.

Wolga - it will be interesting to see how your feed-o-matic feeder performs over time. Please keep us posted.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:23 am

Aaah bummer Marina - too late because I bought the feed-o-matic on Friday!

So far it seems pretty good, everything seems pretty solid and well built, but I guess time will tell with how it lasts, but the majority is metal so should be pretty good I think. Although I echo comments that it would probably be better design with the larger models to go wider rather than taller (although I get from a manufacturing point of view that this way they can use the same parts for all of the models e.g. the steps, so that's probably why they don't do that.)

My only real gripe so far is exactly what you said, Marina, that my white leghorn caught her comb on the steel opening flap - one small nick on the end of her comb on a wet day and she turned out looking like she was pink columbian! :? But that was when I had the brick on the step, so I'm hoping that with the moving parts she'll get her head out of the way a bit quicker...
sewren

Return to General Chicken Keeping